Ah peach season! What a great time of the year! We had a great time canning peaches this year. It was for sure a family affair, everyone got to help in the fun. We bottled 7 bushel of peaches. That is 184 jars of peaches. Then we jammed 2 bushel. It was a lot of work, but a great sense of accomplishment knowing that we have peaches for the year. And there is nothing better than peach jam on toast or cottage cheese and bottled peaches!!!
Dots thought this peach was so funny looking, I think she took like 5 pictures of it!
Here are the boxes all lined up on the kitchen wall. 18 boxes of peaches!!!
Dad and Dots get to peel the peaches. It is such a fun time to work together as a family.
Roo got to put sugar in the water and stir. She for sure thought her job was the most important and worked so hard to make sure it was just right. Matthew also helped but would not pose for a picture.
Sumo's job was to stay out of trouble. He did a pretty good job of it!!!
And this is what 7 bushel, 184 jars of peaches look like!!! Now before you all come rushing to my house for peaches, they were not all mine! My cousin, my mom, my sister and I all shared in the peach joy!!!



I just wanted to share the miracle of the peaches, because truly it was a miracle. My parents brought the peaches down to us on Friday morning. They stopped in St. George Thursday night. When they got to St. George my cute mom called me and said the peaches are ready, they have to be done IMMEDIATELY or they will all spoil. This was also the weekend of Time Out For Women and I had signed up to be a volunteer almost a year earlier. I was so upset, I did not want 9 bushel of peaches to spoil, but there was no way I could miss TOWF. So we decided to pray, we prayed that the peaches would keep and that they would wait 2 days until I could get to them. (Those of you that bottle fruit will really appreciate this, because when fruit is ready to go it is ready to go, there is no waiting!!) I am here to testify that a miracle happened. Those peaches kept and we were able to bottle them and I know that they will be the best peaches we have ever had!!!
October 01, 2008
Peaches
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








5 comments:
Good Job Amy!!! my mom used to do this every year, she would do SOOO many! i always had to help just like your kids but your family looks a hundred times happier than i ever was! i am super impressed, i need to get back into doing all that stuff. Where do you store them all at though? that is my dilema i guess, not knowing what to do with them all after they are bottled.
It was truly a miracle. Boy am I glad that this is done!! I do not want to touch another peach!! (I guess until next year when we do it all over again.) You are amazing. I am so blessed to have you for a sister and all the amazing things that you teach me.
Holy cow! That's a crazy lot of peaches. I've never tried to can anything. Mostly because just the idea of all the work causes a migraine. My mom and grandma always did when I was growing up and I was content to watch.
Wow! How long did that take you? I have been canning tomatoes and pickles plus my freezer is full of peaches, green beans, squash, zuchini, peppers...We had one tiny garden space and TONS of vegetables. I am sure you will enjy those peaches all winter!
so impressive!!
Post a Comment